Social Class Reproduction

Four Rules for Teaching Writing:
Image result for image: joy of writing
Always give writing assignments that

1. you will enjoy reading;
2. students will enjoy writing;
3. students will enjoy reading what others in the class have written
4. you will enjoy writing.

If any one of these conditions were not true, then it probably wasn't a very good assignment.

Advice I give to my students: When your words surprise you, you know you are writing.

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Why I'm Angry--Maybe



This is far from an original thought (and yes, I am aware of iterative theory).  It's probably a mix of Marx, W.C. Allee, and Steinbeck (who, i think developed his social theories from Allee through Ed Ricketts.  Social reproduction theory posits that cultures act like single organisms (that's from Allee), unconsciously reproducing themselves, developing structuring structures (Bourdieu) that ensure the continuation of the species/culture.  The players in the game are of course unaware of their roles.  They imagine they are acting existentially.  The collective, of which they are a part, imagines (as if it had a mind--as if the individual had a mind--as if I have a mind) it is also acting existentially on the basis of announced (usually rationalized) purposes.  Higher education is one of those collectives in our particular culture.  Let's imagine HEd as a being, a collective, an organism within the larger organism (as our organs are collectives within the larger organism of us).  HEd has the announced purpose of educating citizens to be thoughtful, productive, cooperative, critical thinkers (of course) in our culture, ensuring the continuation and even evolution of our culture (the current standoff in Congress signifies what a great job we're doing of that).  

But the unannounced purpose of HEd is to reproduce the culture, which includes the culture of domination and radical asymmetrical distribution of wealth, status, and privilege (WSP).  I and others have of course written endlessly about this (Bourdieu, Clark, Katz, Gee, Bowles & Gintis and so on).  English departments are no different, although they like to imagine themselves as redistributing critical literacy.  And likewise, our field is no different, imagining such silly things as that we are teaching our students in our writing classes how to interrogate culture and write themselves into a better world.  (and of course, I have to imagine that I am no different either, although here I am, pretending that I have broken free from the structuring structures to think, ironically, for myself).  But just supposing I had a useful thought  born of the anger I feel towards writing classes and any other classes that make students feel what the student I have quoted feel--and I know there are many who feel that way.  Basically, I think we learn counterproductive teaching strategies (the kind that make our students feel off-balance, stressed, disliking what they are doing when they should be loving it [check out Gary Tate's searing essay, "Halfway Home") as part of that structuring structure, of that social mechanism that guarantees the ongoing radical asymmetrical distribution of WSP.  Think about it: who are the kids who get through (I mean through the whole educational gauntlet, leading the to JD, MD, or PhD)?  Probably (and this is obvious) the sons and daughters of those who already have lots of WSP.  I think this stupid notion of rigor is one of the primary mechanisms--we need to make our students work hard instead of enjoy the process of learning.  Maybe I have to think about why this would make me angry.

[ok--I wrote what i was thinking.  as i said, highly unoriginal--but i think it needs to be revoiced from time to time]

And now I realize why I'm angry: I'm probably reworking my anger at teachers/the system that almost killed my love of reading and writing.  I have never been the best of students.  School still bewilders me.  

4 comments:

  1. Hey I skimmed to your post just now while in class and I think you should look at some videos I have seen I think this can give you another view of things. In my midterm portfolio I put a video on it that I hope you look at its called http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrd8qnLQC0Q I believe you would appreciate this video and if you like it I have some others that I think you could make relevant to your blog and I believe to anyone's blog or topic. The video is on YouTube. I tried to put a link but its not working to well but copy that url and paste it in YouTube it should work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks a lot Josh. And thanks for skimming that vent. I'll check the video out--after my next class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was high cool, josh. I hope you put it on your blog. It is line with thinking from one of my mentors, Paulo Freire: paraphrase: thought without action is verbalism; action without thought is (i forget what he said__but let's say, stupid). he probably called it activism

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dr. Peckham. I thought you might be interested in reading a blog post I wrote about public rhetoric and value in academia. I wrote it after the Watson Symposium at UofL this past week. I was real fired up, and it was the first time in a long time I found myself actually having fun when writing. So here is a link: http://jennifermarciniak.wordpress.com/2013/10/22/dismantling-the-scholarly-square-and-moving-toward-a-rhetoric-of-public-inclusion-a-response-to-the-watson-symposium/

    ReplyDelete